Dixon Austin inscriptions
Adverts in newspapers show that the Dixon, Austin & Co partnership ran from 1818 to 1839 and operated on two sites: 'Sunderland Pottery, in the borough of Sunderland, and also at the Hylton Pottery, in the parish of Monk Wearmouth'. The dated inscriptions below are remarkable for their consistency over two decades. The lower case 't' is particularly distinctive, being shaped like a '4'. The lower case 'g' has an elongated and coiled tail.
An inscription from a jug with two identical transfers of Francis Burdett.
The jug has a different inscription on each side, and the printed mark has been changed from Phillips to Dixon. Read more about Francis Burdett here.
Although undated, Tim Gates has identified 1826 as a likely date from census records.