Puzzle jugs attributed to the Fordy and Patterson partnership at the Sheriff Hill Pottery
According to R C Bell (Tyneside Pottery) the Fordy and Patterson partnership at Sheriff Hill ran from about 1827 to 1833.
The items on this page are attributed to the Sheriff Hill Pottery on the basis of the similarity of the script on the items above with marked items from that pottery. Compare them with the item below, which has a 'J&P' (Jackson and Patterson) impressed mark. Read more about Sheriff Hill inscriptions here. The lower case L is particularly distinctive.
Longbenton is just North of Newcastle, which helps to cement this Tyneside attribution.
Pink lustre puzzle jugs
The Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums catalogue attributes the jug below to Dawson's Low Ford Pottery. Although Dawson did make puzzle jugs (see here), they are smaller and less bulbous in form. The Museum catalogue states '19th century creamware puzzle jug given as wedding gift to John Burnop and Mary Douglas, 1828'. The elaborate initials are similar to those on the other pink-lustre items below. The mariners' compass transfer is also common to items on this page.