Attributed to Carr & Patton, North Shields Pottery
According to press announcements, the above North Shields partnership ran from 1838 to 1846. In fact, at the start of the partnership the wares produced were identical to those produced under Cornfoot, Carr & Co. An announcement was made of the 'demise of Mr Cornfoot' in February 1838, so items inscribed with that year are more likely to belong to this new partnership. Around 1841, North Shields began to produce more modern-looking items, which could be mistaken for those made by Dixon. The inscriptions are in a brick red. More research needs to be done, but it appears that an enameller from North Shields went to Sunderland in about 1845, and started work for the Garrison Pottery.
Carr & Patton start to produce more modern-looking items in the early 1840s. The inscriptions are in a brick red, although apparently by the same hand, or a very similar one, to the items above. These wares look very similar to items produced by Dixon in Sunderland.
A jug with typical North Shields transfers and an inscribed date 1841.
Carr & Patton appear to have continued making more traditional items in parallel with the 'Dixon type' jugs. Note the lustre decoration on the handle terminating in horizontal brushstrokes, which was like a signature on North Shields items in the 1830s.
Note the difference in treatment of the letter 'R' in Robin, compared with the Le Ruez jug above.