Northumberland 74 – Sunderland
Sunderland Pottery, Dixon, 1818–1830s
This transfer was used by the Dixon, Austin & Co partnership at the Sunderland Pottery from 1818 to 1839. This large creamware jug is from the start of that period. The enamelling over the transfer remains consistent into the 1830s.
The first jug below has an inscription with the date 1823. The second was made, c1830.
Above is a version of the transfer with the printed mark, 'Dixon & Co Sunderland Pottery' on a jug of giant proportions (13 inches high), and an inscription dated 1832.
Attributed to Sunderland Pottery, Dixon, 1830s
A small version of the transfer without the printed factory mark on wares from the 1830s. The eel pot below has transfers on the lid that are peculiar to Dixon.
It also appears on small finely potted jugs. The decoration of the spout is typical of Dixon, Austin & Co.
Finally, the transfer on a large, quart size, mug.
Garrison Pottery, Dixon, 1840–65
The second marriage jug is dated 1855. The third with a floral collar.
The transfer on a larger size jug with second handle to aid pouring.
Northumberland 74 – Tyneside
Attributed to Carr and Patton, North Shields
A small version of the transfer appears on jugs with green-flecked decoration from the 1830s. Although I have attributed the larger portion of jugs decorated like this to Robert Maling, these transfers belong to a unique sub group. Note that, unlike the Maling examples, the green enamel is applied neatly in teardrop shapes. Carr and Patton appear to be emulating their neighbour's green fleck decoration. See a jug with similar decoration attributed to Carr & Patton here and another here.
Carr & Patton, Low Lights Pottery 1
The Carr and Patton version (1840–1850) is very similar to the Garrison transfer, but with two obvious differences. There is no buoy floating to the left of the ship, and there is no full stop after 74 in the title.
The transfer above is from an immense jug (first line below). Beneath it two jugs with masonic transfers. The third jug has a hand-painted inscription for 1850. These jugs could easily be mistaken for Dixon items.
John Carr & Sons, Low Lights Pottery 2
This transfer, although used on Carr items, appears to be Dixon version above. It is likely that Carr purchased the transfer plates when the Garrison Pottery closed in 1865.