Shields the Mouth of the River Tyne
Carr and Patton, North Shields
The photos below show the other transfers that appear on Carr items with the Shields transfer. The second jug below is dated 1844 in typical red script.
The bowl below has similar lustre squiggle decoration to the second jug above. The enameller moved from North Shields to the Garrison Pottery, Sunderland, c 1845, making Carr and Dixon wares hard to tell apart during this period. However, the transfers on this bowl and the items above are particular to Tyneside.
The first two details below are from the two jugs above (click to enlarge). Note the horizontal shading on the tower is different to the Fell version of the transfer (right image). Also, the two Carr imprints are speckled with tiny scratches in the same places.
Thomas Fell, St Peter's Pottery
The jug, c1840, is attributed to Fell on the basis of the distinctive lustre decoration, elements of which are found on plaques with the Fell impress. The over-glaze transfers of Fell items from this period have a sooty quality.
Note the painted lustre sun on the second image of the jug (to the above right of the Sailor's Farewell transfer.