Attributed to Thomas Fell, St Peter's Pottery, Newcastle
All the attributions on this page stem from decorative similarities with the plaques below, from the 1840s. The top and second left plaques have Fell impressed marks, shown beside them.
From about 1850 onwards, this enameller appears to have left Newcastle and gone to work in Sunderland at the Garrison Pottery. The large rectangular plaque to the right is marked Dixon Co. The smaller plaques beneath it are presumably Thomas Fell (photo Ian Holmes). Below a Dixon jug by the same hand from 1859.
Inscriptions in date order
In the right image below, the name of the ship, 'Alpha', has been painted on the flag.
Although undated, this jug has the same ship transfer as the jug above, this time repurposed as 'Sir Bourchier Wrey'.
Photos courtesy of Compton Verney Art Gallery and Park (photo by Harminder Judge).