Success to the Tars of Old England... – Tyneside
Cornfoot, Carr and Co, 1832–1838 – North Shields
A rarer titled version of the transfer attributed to North Shields on the basis of the two 'C, C & Co' impressed plates below. The distinctive lustre decoration on the handle of the jug, terminating in several horizontal brushstrokes, was used in North Shields throughout the 1830s and into the 1840s.
The same titled version on a small jug with black over-enamels to the sails on the transfer, again typical of North Shields. Beneath it two plates, also both with black sails, and a 'C, C & Co' impress to the reverse.
Attributed to Cornfoot, Carr and Co, 1832–1838 – North Shields
A more common, untitled version of the transfer, which was likely used over a long period. The jug below has an inscription for 1833. The marks on the handle are relatively neat.
Another jug below with similar decoration and an all but erased factory mark of an earlier North Shields partnership, 'Collingwood & Beall'. C,C & Co apparently repurposed an old transfer plate in the 1830s.
The Loss of Gold transfer on this bowl also has an erased 'Collingwood & Beall' printed mark.
Attributed to Cornfoot, Carr and Co, 1832–1838 or
Carr and Patton 1838–1846 – North Shields
Three small jugs with the same untitled ship transfer as above, coupled with religious verses. The first, although with an inscribed birth date of 1816, was most likely given as a first communion present (c1830) or coming of age present (1837).
All three jugs have the signature North Shields lustre marks on the handle.
An eel pot with very similar decoration to the last jug above.
Attributed to Carr and Patton 1838–1846 – North Shields
This variation of the transfer (left) is very similar to the one above (right), except that to the right of the ship there is another small sail in the distance. The leaves are more heavily shaded and there are more rows of dashes on some of the sails. These details could have been added when the copper plate was re-engraved to restore clarity, or the transfers could come from two different copper plates.
The jug below is smaller with a different shade of green enamel.
The darker lustre of these jugs perhaps suggests the Carr and Patton period.
The transfer appears on an eel pot, which unusually has no lugs / handles.
Attributed to John Carr and Son, North Shields
The transfer on the bowl is from the same copper plate as the small mugs below. Although the imprint is weaker, my guess is that the bowl was made earlier, c1850.
This appears to be a later imprint from the same copper plate as the bowl above.
John Carr and Sons, North Shields – with Seaham transfers
This bowl has a Mariners' Compass and verse transfers from the same copper plate as the Seaham-attributed items. However, the bowl was likely made after that pottery's closure, which appears to be c1852. The London impressed mark was used by several Tyneside potteries when making wares for a London retailer. So the bowl below is likely North Shields, c1860.
A more typical Carr & Sons jug with the small ship accompanied by a masonic transfer and verse.
Attributed to John Carr and Son, North Shields or Ball's Deptford Pottery
Both John Carr & Sons and Ball's Deptford Pottery were operating in the latter quarter of the 19th century when these rolling pins were made. Ball's appears to have acquired moulds and transfer plates from Carr, so it is hard to attribute these items.
Another example with typical Carr transfers, but with some printed in blue.
Redhead, Wilson & Co, Forth Banks, Newcastle Pottery – 1833–1838
A variation of the transfer appears in the centre of this spectacular Newcastle Pottery bowl from the mid 1830s.