Dixon Austin dated inscriptions
Adverts in newspapers show that the Dixon, Austin & Co partnership ran from 1818 to 1839 and operated on two sites: 'Sunderland Pottery, in the borough of Sunderland, and also at the Hylton Pottery, in the parish of Monk Wearmouth'. The dated inscriptions below are remarkable for their consistency over two decades. The lower case 't' is particularly distinctive, being shaped like a '4'. The lower case 'g' has an elongated and coiled tail.
An inscription from a jug with two identical transfers of Francis Burdett.
The jug has a different inscription on each side, and the printed mark has been changed from Phillips to Dixon. Read more about Francis Burdett here.
From the Mellors and Kirk catalogue description: 'A SUNDERLAND LUSTRE JUG, 'GARRISON' POTTERY, DATED 1823 with prints coloured in bright enamels of ship and the Farmer's Arms, the second incorporating a tablet DIXON AUSTIN & CO SUNDERLAND, the ship print inscribed in black enamel with title Providence of Scarbro', further inscribed Thos & Mary Mackwood Throxenby Octr 24th 1823, 17cm h. Provenance: The 109 ton 64ft "Providence" was built at Scarborough by Joseph Howard and registered on September 10th 1807 for William Smith and Jefferson Ward, Ship Owners of Scarborough and Thomas Mackwood, yeoman of Throxenby, Yorkshire . The master was William Abram and the vessel was lost on April 20th, 1833.'
Although undated, Tim Gates has identified 1826 as a likely date from census records.
The jug below, from the Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums collection, commemorates the death of George IV in 1830.
Undated similar inscriptions
This loving cup from a Methodist Chapel seemed worth including as it is unlike most of the items on this page. At first glance, the black decoration is similar to that found on Tyneside objects, but the text is unmistakeably 'Dixon'. Compare it with the jug below.