Masons' Arms – Sunderland
Attributed to Dawson's Low Ford Pottery
Baker attributes the view of the bridge on this jug (number 32) to Dawson., on the basis of its similarity to a marked Dawson bridge transfer. However, other potteries, e.g. Moore's, also produced variations of this bridge transfer.
Attributed to the Garrison Pottery
The farmers' arms transfer on the other side of this huge jug, dated 1850, is similar to those found on items from the earlier Dixon Austin partnership at the Garrison Pottery, also some of the elements of lustre decoration. This transfer has the title 'Masons' Arms'.
The large mug below appears to have an earlier imprint of the same transfer, with the Masons' Arms title.
Scott & Sons, Southwick – plate 1
I would guess the jug below is c1830, and belongs to the Scott and Sons partnership at Southwick, which Baker says ran from 1829 to 1841. These jugs with distinctive flower motif collars appear with transfers inscribed 'Scott Southwick'.
A similar Scott jug with flowered collar, and a 'Jack on a Cruise' transfer.
Scott Brothers & Co – plate 1
This jug is attributed to the 1841–1872 partnership on the basis that the noble bark transfer on the reverse has a blacked out makers mark. The original mark read S & Sons, Southwick, and was likely concealed when the pottery was rebranded as Scott Brothers and Co in 1841.
It is likely that this transfer is a degraded imprint from the Scott & Sons transfer plate above. The left detail below is from the Scott & Sons jug, and the Scott Brothers & Co jug.
Scott Brothers & Co – plate 2
Another Scott version of the transfer appears on the large mug below, likely 1840s, and also on a small jug (last photo). NB there are no printed factory marks on these items, but the flower transfers on the mug are typical of Scott's Pottery.
A much more degraded version of the transfer appears on the larger Scott jug below, from circa 1860.
The engraving looks to have been reworked to restore clarity. The first detail is from the mug above; the second from the large jug.
Scott Brothers & Co – plate 3
An atypically small version of this transfer appears on a Scott-impressed bowl, c1860.
Masons' Arms – Tyneside
Cornfoot, Carr and Co, North Shields
I have attributed this jug (once in the Tolson collection) to Cornfoot, Carr and Co (1832–1838). More work needs to be done on the dating of wares from the North Shields partnerships. However, the red decoration appears on earlier wares, including items associated with the Alnwick election. Unlike the examples above, the sun is on the left and the moon on the right.
Carr and Patton, North Shields – plate 1
The transfer below (again sun on the left) was likely used by both Cornfoot, Carr and Co (1832–1838) and Carr and Patton (1838–1846) at North Shields. The jug (also ex-Tolson collection) has a hand-painted inscription. Unfortunately, it doesn't give much clue as to the date, although the jug is very similar one below dated 1840. The auction description (Mellors and Kirk) read as follows. Elizabeth Jane Sohier (1823-1909) of the Parish of St Peter and later St Brelades, Jersey was the daughter of Henri Sohier and married firstly, in 1846 Philippe Renouf and secondly Clement Renaut. So the jug could have been a coming of age present, before Elizabeth married in 1846.
Below, the transfer on a similar jug with maritime transfers and lighter lustre. And a second, commemorating the battle of Trafalgar, and the banner 'ENGLAND expects EVERY MAN TO DO his DUTY'.
Carr and Patton, North Shields – plate 2
This transfer was likely used by both Cornfoot, Carr and Co (1832–1838) and Carr and Patton (1838–1846). It is very similar to the Garrison Pottery transfer at the top of this page with the moon on the left, and the sun on the right.
Two similar jugs with the same transfer, the second dated 1840.
Carr and Patton, North Shields – plate 3
This transfer appears on a more modern looking North Shields jug, dated 1841. The red painted script is typical of Carr and Patton items from the 1840s.
Newcastle Pottery, Forth Banks
The mug below was likely made c1835, and has typical Newcastle Pottery decoration. It could have been made by the Redhead, Wilson & Co partnership at Forth Banks, 1833-38, or by Thomas Wallace (later James Wallace & Co) 1838 – 58 at the same pottery.
Unidentified Tyne pottery
Most likely North Shields, but both Maling and Fell also used green flecked decoration.