The Gauntlet Clipper Ship
Two of the copper plates with this transfer originated at the Garrison Pottery (Dixon's). When the Garrison Pottery closed in 1865, one of the plates appears to have been acquired by Moore's and the other by Scott's.
Garrison Pottery 1
The Garrison (Dixon's) version has a small scratch (indicated below) above the word 'Ship'. The small boat above the word 'Ship' has a letter 'S' on its flag.
Some of the other transfers that appear with the Gauntlet on Dixon items are shown below.
Garrison Pottery 2
In this version, there is no letter 'S' on the flag of the small boat above the word ship. The wave shading is also different.
The small jug below has typical Garrison lustre decoration from c1855.
Moore's Pottery 1
This appears to be from the same transfer plate, with no 'S' on the flag, as the Garrison jug above. Moore's likely acquired the transfer plate when the Dixon partnership dissolved in 1865.
Moore's Pottery 2
It is difficult to compare the transfer which curves around this small jug, but it is a different version to those above and below. The version of the Sunderland Bridge transfer on the reverse of this jug appears on items with the Moore impress.
Scott's Pottery 1
The original copper plate for this transfer is in the Sunderland Museums collection. There is a scratch on the plate in the centre sail on the foremast (indicated below) that appears on Scott's items, but not those from Dixon's or Moore's.
The Scott version has diagonal shading over the clouds behind the sails at the front. Scott left, Dixon 1 centre, and Moore right in the details below. The Scott and Dixon 1 transfers are remarkably similar, so it's likely that they come from the same transfer plate, which changed hands when the Garrison Pottery closed in 1865. So Scott's appear to have had the Dixon 1 plate re-engraved, and it acquired the scratch above sometime after it changed hands.
The transfer appears on bowls with the Scott impress.
The transfer also appears on unmarked jugs and plaques. The orange lustre items likely date from the 1870s.