A mug (from Sunderland Museum and Winter Gardens, Tyne and Wear Archives and Museums) with a similar style of inscription to the jug above.
A pair of large Moore jugs with a military inscription.
The jug was made much later than the date on the inscription (1830). The Start of Tasmania was launched in 1856, and the New Bridge over the River Wear opened in 1859.
This inscription on the reliably attributed Moore jug above is very similar to those found on earlier Dawson items from the Low Ford Pottery in South Hylton. See right photo for a Dawson jug dated 1841 in the Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums collection. So it appears that the enameller at some point moved from South Hylton to Southwick.
Although dated 1847, the orange lustre suggests this jug was made c1870.