John Patton inscriptions
According to press announcements, Carr and Patton set up at the Phoenix Pottery in Newcastle in 1846, but their partnership there was dissolved that same year. Both potteries commissioned a signed version of the mariners' compass transfer sometime after the partnership dissolved. The signatures show John Patton continuing in Newcastle, presumably at the Phoenix Pottery, and in North Shields. (We know from press announcements that Patton also ran a brewery in North Shields.) John Carr, on the other hand, continued to make pottery at Low Lights, in North Shields. It is unclear how long Patton continued to make pots in Newcastle, but by 1857, RC Bell records a change of ownership to the Phoenix Pottery Company, and by 1860, the premises had been converted into a chemical works.
Like John Carr, Patton produced items with French Inscriptions, destined for the Channel Islands. Press advertisements announce to 'Shipowners, Captains trading Foreign and the Public in general' that they can find 'the best Quality, Fancy Shapes and Patterns, Burnished Enamelled Lustre, Etc,' [...] 'adapted to every Market, both Home and Foreign' at the Phoenix Pottery Ouseburn.
This jug has the printed mark, 'JP Newcastle & N Shields'.
Later items with the same hand
This is the same hand found on John Patton wares above from the 1850s. According to RC Bell, by 1860 the Phoenix Pottery had been converted into a chemical works. From the transfers, it appears that the enameller was by this date working at the Low Lights Pottery for John Carr & Sons.
In the absence of a date, this jug could be either Patton or Carr.