West View of the Cast Iron Bridge – bridge 22
This view shows the Lord Duncan, the largest ship built in Sunderland at that time, passing under the bridge. The ship was launched in 1798, just a couple of years after the bridge opened. But any real acquaintance with the bridge would have been short lived, as she was blown up in 1807 by an explosion in San Domingo. However, images of the ship passing under the bridge continued to be used by Dawson, North Shields and Moore & Co into the 1840s and 50s.
Attributed to Anthony Scott & Co – bridge 22, early imprint
The bridge transfer on this ovoid jug is Baker's bridge 22. This version of the transfer is almost identical to one found on Dawson mugs, except without the 'Ed Barker' signature. Both the jug and the mug below are from the Sunderland Museum & Winter Gardens, Tyne & Wear Archives & Museums collection. On the early imprints, there are no windows to the house on the right in front of the bridge (hard to see in these images).
Attributed to Anthony Scott & Co – bridge 22, later imprint
The images above are from the mug below. The frog has been linked to items with the 'SCOTT Southwick' printed mark. Note that, unlike the mug above, there are two masts underneath the birds on the right side of the ship. There are now 3 windows on the house at the right in front of the bridge.
Small nicks / speckles show this is the same transfer as on the mugs above. The enamelling and script is, however, unusual. The inscription is dated 1819.
Apologies for the quality of the images, but you'll see that all the items above (details shown respectively below), have a small nick to the left of the top of the mast, of the ship passing under the bridge. The transfer plate was at some point reengraved with two masts behind the houses to the right of the ship.